Links for Hennepin County Master Gardeners
University of Minnesota Resources
- University of MN Extension – Garden
- University of MN Mastgar Archives Master Gardener Archived messages
- Earth-Friendly Home Landscaping: A quick reference guide to Earth-Friendly Home Landscaping and environmentally friendly landscaping tips.
- Bell Museum Wildlife Info
- What Insect is This?
- Center for Urban Ecology & Sustainability: Vera Krischik’s Integrated Pest Management — excellent insect site
- What’s wrong with my plant?
- Plant Disease Clinic (fees vary)
- MN Dept of Natural Resources
- MDOT On-line Plant Selector
- The Right Tree Brochure – Tree Selections For Planting Under and Near Power Lines and Other Locations
- MN Dept of Agriculture: well water testing, Dutch elm, Oak Wilt testing
- Sustainable Urban Landscape Information Series (SULIS)- Design, implement and maintain sustainable urban landscapes. Plant selections
- MN Landscape Arboretum database – Anderson Horticultural Library Plant Information – Collection of Databases of interest to gardening and plant enthusiasts as well as botanists, horticulturalists and plant Scholars.
- FloriFacts – ‘FloriFacts’ is an information resource for growers and students of greenhouse crops, outdoor herbaceous ornamentals, and greenhouse vegetable crops. The site is organized and authored by the Floriculture Program in the Department of Horticultural Science at the University of Minnesota.
- Wildlife resources for Master Gardeners – Compiled by John P. Loegering, Wildlife Ecologist, University of Minnesota
- Eleven Primary Noxious Weeds of MN
- My Minnesota Woods – Tree and shrub selection by region for MN
Other Research-Based Sites
- eXtension – National Extension site; includes on-line “Ask A Master Gardener”
- National Center for Food Preservation
- Nationwide Extension sites
- Poison plant website
- USDA Invasive and Noxious weeds
- Interactive Weed ID – IL Council of Food and Ag Research
- Native Plant Information Network: Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center – U of Texas
- Forestry Images - is a joint project of The Bugwood Network and USDA Forest Service.
The University of Georgia – Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources and
College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences – Dept. of Entomology- hundreds of free images
- Plant photos – Natural Resources Conservation Service (a branch of the USDA). You can enter search criteria, including “copyright-free”.
- The National Pesticide Information Center – Run by the Environmental Protection Agency and Oregon State University. Provides objective, science-based information about pesticides and pesticide-related topics
- Pesticide Action Network – Run by a nonprofit organization dedicated to reducing the use of Pesticides sponsored by the Environmental Protection Agency. One-stop location for current toxicity and regulatory information for pesticides.
- Extension Toxicology Dept – Extoxnet – From the University of California Davis, Oregon State University, Cornell, University, Michigan State University, and the University of Idaho.
- Bug identity site
- Butterflies and Moths of North America
- Cornell’s Berry Diagnostic Tool - Problem solver for small fruit problems
- Tomato Problems – A guide to the identification of common problems.
- Tree questions
- Iowa State University tree identity- interactive site
- Michigan State University Tree ID site
- Leafsnap – Electronic field guide for iPhone and iPad
- Natural Resources Conservation Service – plant database with great plant images
- Botanical names: guide to pronunication
- Fine Gardening’s Guide to
- Managing Houseplant pests
- Perennial Plant Association – Perennial of the year
- Wood Barns & More — Identify that Tree!
- Woody Ornamental Insect, Mite and Disease Management — Penn State
Just For Fun
- Hewlett Packard – Free on-line computer classes
- Using Photos and Graphics in PowerPoint Presentations
- Garden Catalogs – list of the best of 2000 garden catalogs
- Better Homes and Gardens - Plan-a-Garden-tool
- Dave’s Garden – Great for research. Large site. Look at Garden Watchdog for feedback on mail order retailers.
- Ball Horticulture Company – container gardening ideas
- Proven Winners Plants – container gardening ideas
- The Renegade Gardener – Don Engebretson’s gardening site
- Floridata – A photographic encyclopedia of landscape plants, an online plant & nature reference, and a gardening marketplace.
- Master Gardener Forum from Village Garden Web – This forum is meant for the discussion of master gardener programs as well as other volunteer gardening opportunities.
- Northscaping – An informative website for Northern Landscape and design
- The MN State Horticultural Society
- The Minnesota Nursery and Landscape Association (MNLA) – Landscaping, expert referrals, plant info
- Metro Blooms – Rain gardens and blooming boulevards
- Community Gardens in Minnesota (GardeningMatters!)
- Federated Garden Clubs of Minnesota