Links and resources
U of MN Resources
Other Research-Based Sites
- List of nationwide Extension service sites
- National Center for Home Food Preservation
- Perennial Plant Association – Perennial of the year
- Native Plant Information Network: Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center – U of Texas
- Community Gardens in Minnesota
- Poisonous plants
- USDA Invasive and Noxious weeds
- Interactive Weed ID- IL College of Agriculture, Consumer and Environmental Sciences
- Forestry Images – is a joint project of The Bugwood Network and USDA Forest Service. The University of Georgia – Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources and College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences – Dept. of Entomology- hundreds of free images
- Plant photos – Natural Resources Conservation Service (a branch of the USDA). You can enter search criteria, including “copyright-free”.
- Natural Resources Conservation Service – plant database with great plant images
- The National Pesticide Information Center -Run by the Environmental Protection Agency and Oregon State University. Provides objective, science-based information about pesticides and pesticide-related topics
- Pesticide Action Network Pesticide Database – Run by a nonprofit organization dedicated to reducing the use of Pesticides sponsored by the Environmental Protection Agency. One-stop location for current toxicity and regulatory information for pesticides.
- Extension Toxicology Dept – Extoxnet – Objective, science-based information about pesticides – written for the non-expert. From the U of California Davis, Oregon State U, Cornell, Michigan State U, and the U of Idaho.
- All About Bugs
- Cornell’s Berry Diagnostic Tool – Problem solver for small fruit problems
- Vegetable, Fruit, Nut – Resources and fact sheets
- Tree questions – US Forest Service
- Iowa State University Tree ID site – Interactive tree identification
- Michigan State University Tree ID site
- Trees are Good- International Society of Arboriculture-find an ISA certified arborist
- Botanical names:
http://capewest.ca/pron.html - guide to pronunciation
- http://www.finegardening.com/pguide/pronunciation-guide-to-botanical-latin.aspx – Fine Gardening’s Guide to Pronunciation
- Managing Houseplant pests
Just For Fun
Two Good Ones
- ID Weeds – from the University of Missouri Extension http://weedid.missouri.edu/
- Leafsnap – Leafsnap is an electronic field guide for tree and plant species in New York City and Washington, DC. From Columbia University, the University of Maryland, and the Smithsonian Institute. http://leafsnap.com/
© 2014 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.